Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thoughts on the various armys

Alright, a little history on Chernobyl time.

When my bud expressed interest in starting up 40k again I was all over it. the problem was I didn't really research the armys before I kinda just bought a battle force of Necrons, being a big fan of the Dawn of War games and the necrons being my favorite it seemed like a good idea, ...Until i discovered the phase out rule...and that more or less killed Necrons for me the idea that an opponent just needs to kill a certain percentage of units in order to just poof wipe out whats left didnt sit well with me. Since then i have bought various codexs of armys the intrested me and aside from tyranids,ork,eldar and dark eldar I think I have the rest. As you guys know I now play IG and Tau but I figured since im still in the process of finishing up my tau battle force and i havnt posted in a little while I would throw in my thoughts and opinions of why I picked the ones I did and passed some of the others.( by the way you know the saying about opinions and A holes that applies here so dont take offence.)

IG: Honestly this was my number two pick for my intial army, I am somewhat of a tread head and was kind of inspired by the russian scenario in Call of Duty WaW to try thies guys, that and they have some cool named characters.

Tau:Was my third choice. The fire warriors , the basic infantry of the Tau, are possibly my favorite models in the GW line up. The sleek look of the transports was also a big draw for me, my only real complaint are the heads on the battle suits for something with such a big body it has an awfull tiny head.

Necrons: My first choice intitaly, the models are mighty cool looking and fairly easy the paint if you want to go with the straight metallic look. Although Fritz at Way of Saim Hann ( link to his blog on the right) made thies guys look good I just still do not like that blasted phase out rule, maybe once they get a new codex ill look into them again until then my battle force is sitting up on a shelf.

Chaos: I like the looks of a number of units in this one and honestly might have passed the Tau if it wasnt for one thing, metal models, It seems to me that the majority ( or at least the stuff I would have wanted to use) is composed mostly of metal figures which is kind of a downer.

Generic Space Marines: I think its because it was the most played army that i didnt want to play it, that and my buddy is playing Crimson Fist so...

Dark Angels: I like the honor guard units in the robes but of course if you play Dark Angels you do so to play either an all terminators or all bike army...pass

Black Templars: Some cool units and abilities I might look into them again later on but until then Space marines with some diffrent tricks dosnt do it for me.

( thies last couple are based soley on opinion and looks as i dont have the codex for thies ones)

Eldar: Honestly with the exception of the warlocks i dont care to much for any of the other stuff in this army.

Tyranids: Well it was a toss up between thies guys and IG for my horde army despite how cool the carnifex looked I myself like tanks better.

Orks: I love the sheer funny and random nature of thies guys honestly reading my friends codex (the orks being his secondary) makes me laugh every time, that being said it is another horde army and well...go puny 'umans

Dark Eldar: thies guys need a codex update something fierce, that aside i just didnt like the overall look of the models.

So what was the overall point of this post? None so much , maybe to get folks possibly thinking about getting a secondary army something to think about and to have my own thoughts displayed before me. At any rate I am wondering what you folks think so please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions.

Chernobyl

No comments:

Post a Comment