Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Pros and Cons of building two armys at the same time

Well as some of you folks may be aware I am currently in the process of making two armys, Tau and IG. I know im not the only person who does this but I thought I would give some insight on why I would do such an insane thing and why at time i kind of regret it.

Pros.
Releaves boredom: Painting the same thing over and over again, IG imparticuler, Can get painfully boring having some uniquely diffrent gives you something to switch too when you need a break from painting the 40th odd guardsmen.

Gives some variety in play: after playing a few games with one army you might wanna switch it up a bit having a secondary army going along with your current lets you switch it up a bit even its on a smaller scale.

Cons.

Money sink: doing this is not cheap nothing involving GW stuff is so seriously consider your finances ahead of time before even considering it.

takes a long time to get even one army done: fairly obvious if you split your attention you double your time. If your a fast painter , which i am not, this isnt a big issue.


There are some other pros and cons but thies seem to be the biggiest ones for me. feel free to share your thoughts.

Chernobyl

5 comments:

  1. Add in a family and things can really take a long time.
    I assembled and base coated my Tyranids...or most of them and I play with them while I was contemplating and now assembling and painting my second army which is my Eldar.
    However, I feel your pain, I look at my armies and just shrug...bit by bit...man I wish I could paint faster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All things in due time i suppose, my friend who lives next door is playing a crimson fist army and although his troops can be snapped on and go his family and such of course has priority so he hasnt been able to get much work done as well. That being said the stuff he has finished looks good. I'm hoping to get a few practice games in with him shortly ( i havnt played 40k since 3rd addition i think and want to be sure of the rules before i even think about heading to a hobby shop and playing with other folks)

    (deleted previously due to glaring typing errors)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been working on my Blood Angels most of my gaming life...I am so tired of painting red. I have a few diversions, though, but they are unfinished and not really playable.

    Your blog name and your models bring to my mind the idea that your armies could almost be themed to play together. I am tempted to do witch hunters themed to play with my marines next. Weren't there some old white dwarf rules for Tau using "human auxiliaries"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the Tau codex itself it makes mention of a few human worlds falling into the Tau empire so i suppose fluff wise it would be viable option.as far as a white dwarf set of rules somewhere in the back of my mind i recall there being some IG in tau like armor conversions somewhere but I cant think of where and what.

    Eh heh yeah...I like blueish colors what can I say they go over a black primer easily.Another note the reason i decided to do blue and black for the color scheme for my IG was the uniforms of SWAT and the SAS ....and because painting camo is to much of a hassel.

    I think that was the other thing that kind of turned me away from space marines is that , although they look good in a single color, they are well...mostly single colored the repetition would just drive me insane in the long run.

    ReplyDelete